ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  08/JUL/2009 10:22 AM
Assunto:  dates

Mensagem: 

Oi. Gostaria de saber se posso dizer one thousand nine hundred and seventy four for dates.

A princípio eu sei que não, mas por que então eu posso dizer two thousand and nine?

You seem have confused something about the first date.
Thus, "one thousand nine hundred and seventy (I suppose you mean 1974), so
you say nineteen (hundred and ) seventy four.

One rule (in Portuguese for better communication, maybe it is easier to you):
"As dezenas e as unidades são ligadas por hífen e por and ao número anterior:

245 two hundred and forty-five.

Hundred, thousand e million podem, enquanto substantivos, formar o plural com -s

e ligarem-se a outro substantivo com a preposição of:

hundreds (thousands, millions) of  people (centenas, milhares, milhões de pessoas).

Contudo, se seguir um número menor, a preposição desaparece, bem como o -s plural:

Two million three thousand four hundred inhabitants.

Source: Gramática de Inglês, by Dr. Rudolf Stoff  (Trad. de Isabel Maria Nunes)

Presença press/Langenscheidt KG, Berlin and München

www.editpresença.pt 

In short, convention is the name of the game.    Hope it helps.

PP.

========================================================

http://www.english-at-home.com/speaking/saying-dates-and-numbers-in-english/

Two thousand and eight. (British English)

http://www.sciaga.pl/tekst/45629-46-numerals_dates_numbers_etc_grammar
f) In bigger numbers, we put ‘and’ before the tens when the hundreds are missing, e.g. we have
 the year two thousand and five.

http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/vocabulary/date/written
British English
In British English the day is usually put before the month. If you wish, you can add the ending of the ordinal number. The preposition of before the month is usually dropped. You can put a comma before the year, but this is not common anymore in British English. It is common, however, if the date is part of a sentence: The conference takes place 10-12 December, 2003.

Example: 5(th) (of) October(,) 2004

American English
In American English the month is usually put before the day. If you wish, you can put the definite article before the day. It is common to write a comma before the year.

Example: October (the) 5(th), 2004

You can also write the date by using numbers only. The most common forms are:

Example: 5/10/04 or 5-10-04

Note, however, that 5/10/04 usually means 5 October 2004 in British English and May 10,
2004 in American English.
To avoid any possible confusion, you should spell out the month or use the abbreviation.

/////////////
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/writing-dates.aspx
Today's topic is dates.

This podcast is sponsored by GoToMyPC. Use GoToMyPC to take your office computer with you
 wherever you go. Visit http://gotomypc.com/podcast for your free 30 day trial.

Can you believe it's already almost 2008? Another year gone. Since New Year's Day gets people
 thinking about the date, I'll answer a few date-related questions.

Pronouncing Numbers

Here's one from a listener named Michael to get us started. (It will seem as if he's getting
 a little off track, but it will all make sense in a minute.)

[Listener question about dates and British English in wedding invitations.]

The reason Michael's question about British English in wedding invitations is relevant to how
 to pronounce dates is that as a general rule the year is pronounced “two thousand AND eight”
in Britain and “two thousand eight” in America (1). That's the general rule; it's quite common
 to hear people use the and in America, although from the number of e-mail messages I get
 complaining about it, I'd say a lot of Americans have been taught that it's wrong.

So back to Michael's question, I believe the reason you see the year written as two thousand
AND eight in wedding invitations is the same reason you see the other British spellings—Americans
 tend to think British English sounds more formal, and they want their invitations to sound
special. Some people might consider it an affectation, but it's hard to fault someone for doing
 something unusual when they're already walking around carrying flowers and dressing up in a
 suit or gown that's nothing like they'd wear in real life. There isn't much about weddings that
 is normal.

Back to dates.

Shockingly, it's also acceptable to say the year is “twenty-oh-eight.” I can hear some of you
 freaking out  about both breaking 2008 into two separate numbers and using the word oh instead
 of zero, but I have three credible sources to back me up (1, 2, 3). Calling zero “oh” still
bugs a lot of people so I can't recommend doing it, but it's not incorrect.

Ordinal Numbers Versus Cardinal Numbers

There are two kinds of numbers you can use to talk about a specific day: an ordinal number and a
 cardinal number. Cardinal numbers represent amounts like one, two, and three. Ordinal numbers
 represent a place in a series like first, second, and third.

When you're writing out a date like January 1, 2008 (in the American style), the day is a
 cardinal number. So you should never write January 1st, 2008. The weird thing though is when
 you're speaking, even though it is written as January 1, you say, “January first” (1). So when
 you are reading a date that is written January 1, 2008, you say “January first, two thousand
 eight.” That's probably why a lot of people get confused about how to write it.

The instance where it is OK to use an ordinal number is when you are writing the 1st of January, because you are placing the day in a series: of all the days in January, this day is the first. For example, your invitations could say, “Please join us for a party on the first of January.” In that case, it's correct to use the ordinal number first.

Commas and Dates

Next, there are some rules about commas and dates. When you're writing out a full date in the
 American style, you put a comma between the day and the year, so New Year's Day is January 1,
  2008. (4) Different style guides make different recommendations about whether to put a comma
 after the year. Some say to put a comma after the year in a sentence like January 1, 2008, will
 be a fun day (5, 6), and some say to leave the comma out after 2008 (7, 8). I prefer to leave
 the comma out.

http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/vocabulary/date/spoken

If you put the day before the month, use the definite article before the day and the preposition
 of before the month.

5 October 2004 - the fifth of October, two thousand and four

If you put the month before the day, use the definite article before the day in British English.
 In American English, the definite article can be dropped.

October 5, 2004 - October (the) fifth, two thousand and four

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
dates  –  Ana Claudia Serafini  08/JUL/2009, 8:14 AM
 dates  –  PPAULO  08/JUL/2009, 10:22 AM
dates  –  NN  08/JUL/2009, 4:15 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K