Dale, in Brazil (bathroom) medicine cabinets (many call it 'armário de banheiro' ) are a conpiscuous feature in every city and town, you see one here even if you live in the sticks . It comes as a surprise that you hadn´t at home, back here.
Some time ago, in Brazil a blackout (apagão) happened, stretching to more than five states (if memory serves well). At the time I lived in an apartment in Rio.
Thus, the government took some measures, one of them was a compulsory power saving (rationing). The more you consumed the more you paid (overpaid indeed), and the goal was 20 percent of your normal consumption (the basis was the month it came in vogue).
Is where I come in.
I had to lower my consumption to the 80 percent of my previous eletricity amount (in kw/h), it was at that time that I had an Eureka moment...
So, I being a genius placed a candle at the top of the plastic medicine cabinet.
One Sunday, in the early morning, I wake up with my wife screaming "fire!" and I don´t know how in a fraction of second she wore her clothes and took the boys with her, and ran to the door. As if by magic, in the next second, I was alone and with plenty of
columns of black smoke sneaking on the ceiling towards the window, the bathroom aflame.
After a rush of adrenaline having paralyzed me, I decided that attacking were the best defense, so I ran to the kitchen where the eletrical switches were, I switched them off and noticed that a short-circuit had not happened, the fire was limited to the
bathroom area. I took the buckets and put the fire off, the tiles cracked and jumped from the walls, it was a scary-and-wonderful thing to see.
After a little while the orange was gone, and gradually the black smoke changed to white and eventually was gone too.
My wife came back, and we spent the entire Sunday scrubing, cleaning and throwing melted plastic bottles at the trash bin etc.
What happened? The candle used up and got in contact with the (hard) plastic of the cabinet, it was hard but at last it melted and colapsed into the sink that broke. Under the sink were the plastic bottles with cleaning products, and other things. They caught fire as well, at this time, was already daytime, the fire roared already, I said roared (noisily).
After this event I took a security measure, I bought a steel-made bathroom cabinet.