ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  18/JUL/2009 1:13 PM
Assunto:  Lia Wyler

Mensagem: 

Amazing, Eddie, even your title translation was superb.

Maybe today isn´t a workday and most people are at the beach or something, that´s why they didn´t offer comments. You know, Brazilian priorities...some BBQ, beach, soccer (football)...

Wow! this is a jaw-dropping experience; seeing an translator at the spotlight, since we are used to see scandalous football players, models and politicians all the time.

Well deserved, since she is the most famous translator in Brazil (what a shame that I didn´t know that! I admit.), though I am not such a fan of Harry Potter, but I would read if I was given the two versions of the books (Portuguese and English)...he he.

In fact, it piqued my curiosity; to maintain the author´s register into Portuguese she would maintain some contact with her? I mean, the author.

Anyway maintaining the translation in sync with Brits custom and mores isn´t a mere cakewalk task, I think.

It´s a pity that we are getting famous by our illiteracy, though.     On the other hand, there´s perhaps an upside of this; albeit we don´t learn Latin in the very tender age, we don´t become as skeptics as them.    I have noticed that from the reading of their Forums and Newspapers; I am not wishing to stereotype.

All in all, I liked the feature; and I share the liking of the two dictionaries she recommended.

Ah, why in the God´s name Vanity Fair was a challenge? just out of curisity (thanks God, I am not a cat!)

"It´s not everyday that a translator have the opportunity of work eight years with the same author", this statement was another 'lead' to my thinking that she had some type of communication with the author.

Quite a figure, Lia Wyler!

These are my impressions.

PP.     

Text open to proofreading, take the liberty to comment about it as well.

See you around.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Lia Wyler  –  eddie  18/JUL/2009, 11:07 AM
 Lia Wyler  –  PPAULO  18/JUL/2009, 1:13 PM
Lia Wyler--First correction...  –  PPAULO  18/JUL/2009, 1:30 PM
Lia Wyler--First correction...  –  PPAULO  18/JUL/2009, 1:52 PM
Lia Wyler--First correction...  –  PPAULO  18/JUL/2009, 1:59 PM
Lia Wyler--First correction...  –  eddie  18/JUL/2009, 3:52 PM
Lia Wyler--First correction...  –  PPAULO  18/JUL/2009, 5:13 PM
Lia Wyler  –  N.N  19/JUL/2009, 4:02 AM