ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  N.N
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/JUL/2009 6:03 AM
Assunto:  Strategies for learning

Mensagem:  Hi everyone,

A great list so far. To immerse oneself in the American or English culture is also a good way, but this involves travelling.

I found that reading novels helps this immersion process quite a bit. The first proper book I read in English was a slow process, tedious at times, but I wanted to read this particular book in the source language. I know that the web has lots to offer but I find it difficult to get involved/immersed with the stories, news, Wikipedia and so on. I'm all for reading books. When I was preparing myself for the Cambridge Certificate (mind you this was many years ago) my teacher talked about Agatha Christie's book being a good source of good language, culture immersion and, of course, the 'whodunit' genre which makes you not want to put the book down. 

Another way to immerse oneself in the language is to learn something new in English, like following a manual to learn a piece of software, or following a recipe or any kind of short course.

What else? There must be thousands of ways to learn another language. Do volunteer work with native speakers doing work in Brazil... Having a lover is a great way to learn about emotions and psychology in English...

NN

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Strategies for learning  –  Aman  22/JUL/2009, 1:03 PM
Strategies for learning  –  Fran  22/JUL/2009, 1:22 PM
Strategies for learning  –  Josi  22/JUL/2009, 3:58 PM
Strategies for learning  –  Sidney  22/JUL/2009, 4:16 PM
 Strategies for learning  –  N.N  23/JUL/2009, 6:03 AM
Strategies for learning  –  Fran  23/JUL/2009, 3:36 PM
Strategies for learning  –  Aman  24/JUL/2009, 12:23 AM
Aman - Strategies for learning  –  N.N  24/JUL/2009, 5:09 AM