ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  03/AGO/2009 8:17 PM
Assunto:  ...as of...

Mensagem:  Sorry, I left out a lot.

The "as of" in the sentence...I have never seen that before...how can I translate that? I believe that means something like "data from a given date up to August, 3". I imagine something like "...até 3 de Agosto, 2009".

I agree with your translation of the sentence.  I would understand the sentence as you do.

And for the YTD (Year To Date), how you differ from the "as of"? I imagine I must use the YTD when the data is from a certain date up to the present moment.

"As of" requires a point of reference.  Perhaps it's only implied, but there must be a date/time.  When you wrote "from a given date", you were talking about a point of reference, the beginning of a time period.

"As of the second of July, we had three mortal accidents."  Where is the point of reference?  Did the mine/factory start in February?  If it did and I knew it, I'd say you are telling me that since February there have been three deaths.  In YTD, the reference point if given:  the first of the year.  If you tell me "As of the

second of July, we had three mortal accidents" without a reference point, the information is of little use to me.  I don't know if you are talking about since the first of July, the 15th of March, since the mine/factory opened in 1958, or what. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
...as of...   –  Lancaster  03/AGO/2009, 2:26 PM
...as of...   –  Josi  03/AGO/2009, 2:27 PM
...as of...   –  Dale-CR  03/AGO/2009, 7:42 PM
...as of...   –  Ticko  03/AGO/2009, 8:13 PM
...as of...   –  Bob  11/AGO/2009, 11:03 PM
 ...as of...   –  Dale-CR  03/AGO/2009, 8:17 PM
...as of...   –  Visitante  03/AGO/2009, 10:01 PM
...as of...   –  Visitante 2  04/AGO/2009, 3:27 PM
...as of...   –  Lancaster  05/AGO/2009, 12:38 PM