[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  02/MAR/2004 8:18 PM
Assunto:  Re: American? Opinião

Mensagem:  This is gonna be a long answer. This is from a guy who has a site about his travels in Central and South America: QUOTE A little research has shed some light on this term "GRINGO". I'm sorry to say the findings are a little embarrassing for the Norte Americanos who are inadvertently responcible for the term. Let me take you back a little more than a century and a half to 1846-1848 when America was at war with Mexico. The politics of that conflict are all but forgotten (by Americans, but probably not by Mexicans) now except by American historians, but what still remains in the lexicon of Latin languages is that term designating any North American citizen; which we know is Gringo. It was first used by Mexican soldiers who came into conflict with the American military which had invaded their country. But what fluke of history caused this "funny" word to enter the language? Well, a popular song in those days was a little ditty, that had this line as a lyric: "Green grow the lilacs all sparkling with dew. . ." Apparently when the Mexicans heard the Americans singing this song, they heard the opening words of the lyric as "Gringo". So you see, we Americans have only ourselves to blame for this perjorative appliation. With imagination, you can just picture the Americans, drunk on their first taste of tequila or pulque, sitting around the campfire singing with slurred words so the Mexicans couldn't quite figure out what they were singing. "Gringo the lilacs all sparkling with dew. . ." so there you have it, hope it makes sense. UNQUOTE Now, I heard just about the same story when I was in Spanish class and my teacher was from Havana (Habana), Cuba. She tells the same story as far as the etymology is concerned, same song even, but her story takes place later on during the Spanish American War when Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders were in Cuba. So, who's right? I don't know. But I do have many, many Mexican friends and they don't use the word gringo except in a joke. They say "anglo" which isn't accurate when they are talking about an American citizen of Finnish and Norweigan or maybe Polish descent. We are ianquis, americanos and anglos depending on the speaker. It just depends on how well educated the speaker is and how many Dos X's have been consumed!! Tom

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
American?  –  Pedro  29/FEV/2004, 2:48 AM
Re: American?  –  mjd  29/FEV/2004, 5:05 AM
Re: American?  –  Emerson  29/FEV/2004, 10:22 AM
Re: American?  –  Marco  29/FEV/2004, 4:49 PM
Re: American?  –  oneguinho  29/FEV/2004, 6:14 PM
Re: American?  –  Pedro J.  29/FEV/2004, 6:24 PM
Re: American?  –  Elsa  29/FEV/2004, 6:56 PM
Re: American?  –  mjd  01/MAR/2004, 6:09 AM
Re: American?  –  Pedro J.  29/FEV/2004, 12:53 PM