[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tom
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  23/MAR/2004 9:32 PM
Assunto:  Re: Hang-ups

Mensagem:  I don't have a really good translation for the word hang-up except when talking about the telephone. You know, "Please hang up the phone when you are done speaking." I bet you mean the use of hang-up when you're talking about people. If I have a hang-up it's an impediment, something that keeps me from doing something. Suppose you never go to the beach because you are afraid of getting a sun burn. When people say "Let's invite him along." then another person will probably say, "No way he'll go, he's got a hang-up about too much sunshine on the skin." The hang-up can be a fear, a condition or just a habit. Some girls have a hang-up with guys who drive too fast. They won't ride with them. "I've got a hang-up with smokers. They make my clothes stink and after dancing in a room of smokers my hair feels greasy," said Mary. (So, Mary doesn't like it....she still goes dancing....but she would prefer to go where no one is smoking.) Make sense? Write back with the Portuguese translation of "hang-up" if you know it, Tom

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Hang-ups  –  Helder  23/MAR/2004, 7:14 PM
 Re: Hang-ups  –  Tom  23/MAR/2004, 9:32 PM
Re: Hang-ups  –  Johannes  25/MAR/2004, 10:31 AM
Re: Hang-ups  –  Joe  23/MAR/2004, 9:35 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K